The SBU Coaching Corps will give committed SBU alumni, college students, and high school students the practical experience and training to develop as coaches and mentors. It will provide a springboard for individuals interested in entering the coaching or mentoring profession and help individuals develop the job skills needed to succeed in the workforce. The Coaching Corps program will consist of three components: (1) practical experience as a coach in an SBU program, (2) monthly training and workshops, and (3) formal licensing courses. Coaching Corps members will receive a training stipend halfway through and upon completion of the program.
• Commit to serving as a Corps member from August 2020 to June 2021
• Serve as an Assistant Coach for an SBU Travel Team, Select Soccer Team, or Afterschool Program.
• Attend 6 coach training sessions.
• Attend 6 mentoring training sessions.
• Receive ongoing Coaching Feedback including monthly observation and debrief meetings.
• Complete the US Soccer Grassroots license courses (paid by SBU)
• [optional] Complete a referee licensing course (paid by SBU)
• Ages 16-24. Candidates must be at least 16 years old by September 1st.
• Priority to current SBU Academy high school student, college student, or alumnus.
• Others are still eligible and encouraged to apply.
• A $1,200 non-taxable corps stipend. Half will be paid at the end of January, and half at the end of June. Corps members may forfeit their stipend with unsatisfactory attendance or completion of requirements
• All expenses paid for completion of the USSF Grassroots coaching licenses or NSCAA licenses, and optional referee licenses. (Value of $450)
• Priority to be hired as a paid summer camp coach or, after successful completion of the fellowship, as a paid after-school or team coach.
Download Application (Microsoft Word)
Download Application (PDF)
Applications MUST be submitted via email by June 1st to email@example.com.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will be notified by July 31st whether they have been accepted into the Coaching Corps. Limited space is available. The program will begin in August